[Hippo-cms7-user BETA] Fields with predefined values

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Tue Oct 7 11:48:05 CEST 2008

Hi Niels,

Defining predefined values is not yet possible.  As this is in JCR, this
is certainly something we should do at some point!

The most flexible dropdown I can think of would show a list of nodes as
categories.  These categories would best be documents themselves.  While
it certainly is possible to store categories differently, I think making
them documents is the easiest way of getting the most out of your CMS.
(workflow, queries, facetselects)

The "list" type you're imagining is (a variant of) the
"hippostd:folder"/"hippostd:directory" type.  These types are documents
themselves, i.e. it is possible to create a workflow on them.  (in fact,
this is how folder operations work)  Note that it is not possible to
have multiple variants of a folder, so if you want to have a publication
workflow on, say, the README field you will have to create a separate
(regular) document type (niels:categorylist?).  The categories can then
be facetlinks in this type.

There are two obvious methods of storing the categories in the blog
entry:
- In the first, the blog entry type would be enriched with a facetlink.
Then the dropdown would consist of a query for all docs of that type and
selecting one of them would create the link.  (it might be hard to
create useful urls with the hst this way; this is left as an exercise
for the reader)
- The other option that seems more appropriate for tagging-like
functionality is to store the name of the category as a string in a
special property.  The list would still consist of (names of) nodes that
are found by a query.  Constructing urls seems trivial here, with a
well-chosen facetsearch.  Downside here is that the references are
terribly weak, so there won't be any out-of-the-box support for deleting
categories.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Frank

f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com          www.onehippo.com
Amsterdam Hippo B.V. Oosteinde 11   1017 WT   Amsterdam
+31(0)20-5224466
San Francisco Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q   Petaluma   CA
94952-3329   +1-877-41-HIPPO