[Hippo-cms7-user BETA] Combining two docs, I want to provide my custom DashboardPerspective.html

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Fri Oct 24 16:32:47 CEST 2008

Hi Jettro,

I'm afraid you've found one of the current weak spots here.  The problem
is that we're using a fixed set of "extension points" in the markup of
the DashboardPerspective.  The two ways to change the markup are:
- change the existing markup
- use your own markup, packaged with your own addon
  this requires changing the plugin.class property of the dashboard
perspective manually,
  in addition to steps in the tutorial
Neither solution is obviously better than the other, so take your pick.

In due course, we do want to improve on the current situation of course.
The problem of dynamically changing the markup is not trivial.  (any
thoughts on this?)  Currently, two kinds of plugin do support multiple
child plugins: the ListViewPlugin and the TabsPlugin.  This makes it
possible, for example, to add a Perspective without changing anything
except a dependency.

The easiest imaginable solution to your particular situation would be to
put three ListViewPlugins in the dashboard in the standard CMS
configuration.  Then your addon can define an additional node in the
dashboard perspective, selecting which column to use by setting the
wicket.id property.

In the common case of customizing templates, the problems disappear as
there is no pre-existing information (config or markup) to be modified.

cheers, Frank

f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com          www.onehippo.com
Amsterdam Hippo B.V. Oosteinde 11   1017 WT   Amsterdam
+31(0)20-5224466
San Francisco Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q   Petaluma   CA
94952-3329   +1-877-41-HIPPO