[Hippo-cms7-user] Multilingual translation pages through the CMS?

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Tue Apr 28 18:13:34 CEST 2009

Hi John,

I hope your not basing any plans on that document.  We're about halfway
through the goals listed there for 7.1, the next GA (general availability)
release.  As the ideas become grandioser further down the page, and the time
available for implementation is shrinking, I hope you can understand that it
is not entirely realistic.  This document will soon disappear.

If you need some functionality sooner, you should pressure Hippo
management.  They are the ones in charge of the relative priority of each
piece of functionality.  Of course, for every piece of functionality that
moves up the list, another moves down.  So you'll have to fight it out with
the other users on this list ;D

Technically, what we're likely to do is attach a workflow to the
hippostd:languagable mixin type.  There will then be multiple variants of
the same documents under the same handle.  There will then be two workflows
on the document and it's not obvious how the two should interact.  One could
imagine, for instance, that all language variants need to be present before
a document can be published.  However, this is certainly not appropriate in
all situations, so we'll have to build in some flexibility.  A different
matter is how these different states should be presented to the user; there
are a lot of different states that a set of document variants can be in.

So, translations haven't been worked out in much detail yet, there are some
ideas and a few identified problems.  The short answer is that (if you need
it on a short term), you can contact Hippo or dive into the technology
yourself.

cheers, Frank