[Hippo-cms7-user] associating a binary file with a document

chadmichael chadmichaeldavis at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 21:00:02 CEST 2009

> The advantage of having binaries located somewhere is, is reuse. Many
> documents can link to the same binary. This is in general our
> preferred content model.

This re-use use case makes sense in terms of something like image
files.  However, what if a client is using the CMS to manage PDF's of
some kind.  In this case, the PDF IS the "document" in the eyes of the
client's business domain.  So, how do you generally handle this kind
of use case.  Do you still create a separate doctype with a link,
upload the actual PDF under "resources", and then link to it?  This
seems obtuse to me.

I guess, an image file seems like a "resource", but a PDF seems more
of the document itself.  Know what I mean?