[Hippo-cms7-user] associating a binary file with a document

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Mon Aug 17 18:13:49 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Gerritb<gerritberkouwer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good stuff to think about Ard, I see what you mean. lets see how stuff
> develops, I'm sure this subject will pop up some day some where :-)...

Ah, another brain training example(I actually recall this design
usecase from Berry a long time ago, so not my brilliant idea):

Suppose you have multiple languages as variants in a handle. Now, you
would like to link to a pdf from every language. You make a links to
the handle (umbrella container node) of the pdfs. As we have mirrors
with filters, these links are actually mirrors. Now, we have multiple
modes to the mirrors, *and* mirrors inherit the filter from a parent.
With this background info, you can see that we can build (actually,
you only need the make the mirrors) the following logic:

All my different languages documents, link to the same umbrella node
for the pdf, where,  some languages have a custom pdf. So, there would
just be a pdf with a property: language=nl.

Through the dutch  preview /live environment, we would get a filter,
returning the dutch linked pdf. So, all documents link to the same pdf
umbrella, but get the one in their language (context). It gets better:
I told you that filters can be configured. So, we can say: my document
is in the language=nl, so, look for the pdf with language=nl property,
but, if none found, look for a pdf without a language property: this
clearly would be the default pdf, that everybody gets, if it is not
translated.

This is really powerful, it is entirely exposed over jcr, and is
something I really like. As mentioned, to be sure, this idea, logic
and implementation is not born in my head. I am quite sure our sales
people don't even know we can do this :-)))

Cheers