[Hippo-cms7-user] Re: CMS locks down completely after a modest load test

Bart van der Schans b.vanderschans at onehippo.com
Sun Dec 13 15:20:45 CET 2009

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed analysis! That will certainly make it easier
to squash this bug.

Regards,
Bart

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Rob van der Linden Vooren
<robvdlv at jteam.nl> wrote:
> Additionally,
> I have created a corresponding JIRA
> issue: https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HREPTWO-3527
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Rob van der Linden Vooren
> <robvdlv at jteam.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> -------------
>> Introduction:
>> -------------
>>
>> In our acceptance environment we have encountered a bug where the CMS
>> locks down completely after running with ~5 actual concurrent human users.
>> In order to narrow down and reproduce this issue, we have taken your
>> quickstart version of the CMS 2.09.04, and applied a simple automated load
>> test
>> with which we were able to reproduce the issue.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Reproduction of the issue:
>> --------------------------
>>
>> We followed the instructions on:
>>
>> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/quickstart.html
>>
>> and downloaded the quickstart from here:
>>

>> http://repository.hippocms.org/maven2/org/hippoecm/hippo-ecm-quickstart-bin/2.09.04/hippo-ecm-quickstart-bin-2.09.04.zip
>>
>> Without further modifications, we started the CMS quickstart on a
>> developer notebook.
>>
>> We used a load testing tool called "Pure Load" (trial version) that allows
>> recording and replaying of http requests.
>> See: http://www.minq.se/products/pureload/
>>
>> As such, we set up our test to simulate 5 concurrent clients that perform
>> the following steps for an infinite amount of time.
>> Note that the scenario below was run from a simple notebook as well.
>>
>> - login to the cms under unique user credentials
>> - navigate to the news folder
>> - create a new newsitem with a unique name (counting up)
>> - save the newsitem (including 'done', and closing tab)
>> - navigate back to the document root
>> - log out of the cms
>>
>> Results:
>>
>> After running this test setup for 5 to 10 minutes we observe that requests
>> from the load tool no longer are served.
>> Trying to login to the CMS from a browser with no running session (clear
>> cache) results in a timeout: the login form does show, login times out...
>>
>> Users with a running session in the CMS, are capable of navigating through
>> the CMS without visible issues.
>> Logging out such a user, will result in a timeout, trying to logout.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Further information:
>> --------------------------
>> See attachments.
>>
>> - Deployment: clean Hippo 7.2 (2.09.04)
>> - Tool: PureLoad (free edition, trial version)
>> - Test Script: see attachment
>> - Nr of workers: 5 (logical names: scenario0 ... scenario4)
>> - Nr of threads: 5 (one per worker)
>>
>> The script uses five (admin)users in the CMS:
>> - dennis0 / dennis0
>> - dennis1 / dennis1
>> - dennis2 / dennis2
> [...]

Hippo B.V.  -  Amsterdam
Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT, Amsterdam, +31(0)20-5224466

Hippo USA Inc.  -  San Francisco
101 H Street, Suite Q, Petaluma CA, 94952-3329, +1 (707) 773-4646
http://www.onehippo.com   -  info at onehippo.com