[Hippo-cms7-user] Digital Assets Management?

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Sun Dec 20 22:32:34 CET 2009

Hello Gerrit,

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<gerritberkouwer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, what would one wanna do? Eg:
>
> - manage 100-50000 pictures in high-res and lower-res formats
> - synchronise IPTC XMP EXIF data
> - maybe mix in Dublincore metadata
> - keywords management
> - grouping of assets
> - statistics on use of assets
> - and further...

I think that Hippo ecm could easily provide an interface for these
features, as, from a repository pov, this is already there (the
features above aren't an issue for storing in jackrabbit).Also, afaik,
Nuxeo stores its data in a jackrabbit jcr repository as well, but I am
quite confident, though I do not know there code of course, that they
do not support the faceted navigation and other virtual features,
which are very useful in large DMS kind of environments. I know you
hardly saw the faceted navigation in action, but as I am currently
doing some finishing touches I can already claim it will be really
nice!

Now, another thing that people will run into with DMS on Jackrabbit is
fast authorized searching...the fewer read rights somebody has, the
slower it will become (there is no access info possible in indexing in
lucene (of course it is possible, but not maintainable for
performance)). As I hope this will be one of my earlier tasks in 2010,
I think we have everything in place to just be a DMS next to a CMS.
Obviously, we need some better interface to manage large numbers of
data, like how to show 50.000 pictures. The number though is really
not the issue in jackrabbit, and viewing them through faceted
navigation based on their meta data, that is I think very handy

Regards Ard