[Hippo-cms7-user] Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Tue Feb 10 12:38:31 CET 2009

Hello Berend and Niels,

> 09.02.2009 10:04:58 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.tag.LayoutModulesTag.doStartTag():114]
> ServletException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.module.listdisplay.ListDisplayM
> odule for template page: /jsp/modules/people.jsp
>
> Apparently the ListDisplayModule class used in the JSP has
> been removed (or perhaps renamed?) after the documentation
> was written/published.

I removed the ListDisplayModule because I found it not general enough,
and moved it to the project it was used for. Unfortunately, I did not
fix the archetype...this has a reason (see below) but still I am to
blame but...

> As stated on the homepage of the site toolkit documentation,
> the toolkit is a work in progress and the documentation is
> lagging begind a little bit awaiting the new release.

It does! We are kind of abandoning the structure of the current hst2
trunk, and are refactoring the concept. This first version unfortunately
has some serious flaws, but, good news ofcourse, is that the new
restructured version will have fixed these short comings. Basically,
some short recapitulation of the shortcompings of hst trunk (and latest
tag) are the following:

1) difficult to maintain and to read hst:configuration node structure in
the repository
2) request processing tightly integrated to the servlet api and filters.
This avoided proper unint testing opportunities
3) no dependency injection possible because all was done through
concrete classes without proper API and OCM
4) no proper MVC, where action/rendering/displaying logic tightly
coupled to the jsps
5) no possibility for non jsp scripting
6) no Spring possibbilities
7) no portlet integration possible

Now, we are restructering the entire hst (see the branch-295) which
solves all former issues. Obviously, existing implementations need
refactoring, because changes are large. We expect the branch-295 to work
within short notice (this Friday we expect to be able to do a request
processing round trip). Also, I think this afternoon (?) we will move
the architectural wiki documentation to a public location, such that you
can see it (and shoot at it :-))

Anyways, sorry for the in-flux state of the trunk, but, it is for the
best, because the new setup will be superior in every aspect.

Regards Ard