[Hippo-cms7-user] Best practice for relatively simple plugin

gnikacevic g.nikacevic at levi9.com
Mon Nov 16 16:22:33 CET 2009

Hello,

I am trying to create plugin that has more than just 1 input field.

I looked at examples on Forge, but plugins like Rating and YouTube plugin
only have 1 input field. Rating plugin, for example, has only 1 field to
enter number, and in VIEW mode that number is represented by stars. This is
fine, I went through those examples and I understand how to create those
kind of plugins.

What I need is just a bit more complicated than those plugins on forge. Let
me explain a simplified version of a plugin that I would like to create. For
example, this plugin should have 3 fields. First 2 fields should be text
fields and user would enter numbers in those fields. Third field should be a
list of radio buttons with operations: "+", "-", "*" and "/". In EDIT mode,
user would enter 2 numbers and choose operation from radio buttons list. In
VIEW mode (when document is saved and user is done editing) plugin should
display result of an operation. So, in EDIT mode this plugin should have 3
fields while in VIEW mode it should only display 1 value.

This, of course, is not a plugin that I am trying to create. This is
simplified version that in my opinion illustrates my problem and some
directions on how to create this plugin would really help me in solving my
real problem.

Could someone give me some pointers and best practice on how this should be
done?