[Hippo-cms7-user] Dropdown Plugin

nvankampenhout nvankampenhout at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 22:02:43 CET 2009

I've been playing with the Dropdown Plugin (version 1.03.01). I am going to
use static as well as dynamic dropdowns, and dynamic multiselects too. I
have some questions:

First of all: after adding the plugin to my project's pom, the Static
Dropdown and Dynamic Dropdown widgets appear in the template editor's list
of widget, but no Dynamic MultiSelect. Am I missing something?

The Static Dropdown gets its values from a comma separated list stored in a
property "selectable.options". This seems rather limited. To start with, I
want key-value pairs (and I think this is a common requirement). And why are
the values stored as comma separated in a single value property? JCR
supports multivalue properties, wouldn't that be more logical to use? What
would be a good approach to implement key-value pairs? Two multivalue
properties (one for the keys, one for the values)?

BTW, the "selectable.options" property does not save its value in the
template editor, I had to add the property through the console (entered a
bug in the forge for this).

Also, I need to populate Dynamic Dropdowns and MultiSelects from an external
XML source (external as in: external system). I looked at the code and I
think I need to implement IValueListProvider. The DocumentValueListProvider
implementation looks to be a good example. When I add a dynamic widget to a
template, how do I tell it which value provider to use? Is there a
configuration option/property?

Any help much appreciated!

Regards
Niels