[Hippo-cms7-user] HST component archtype

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Wed Nov 18 10:20:42 CET 2009

Hello Mansour,

I think there is a misunderstanding about components here: A component
is some small block of content on your webpage, where the total
webpage is build of some combination of components. A component is
actually a combination of a java class with a jsp/freemarker script.

When we are talking about standard components on the forge, we mean
ready to copy paste pieces of code for having some block, like an rss,
or an archive. We cannot provide the jsp of course.

The HST2 delivers a set of utilities to really easy build your website
(components) or portal (without even knowing your are building a
portal, the blocks are just the portlets).

Building a HST2 site is a combination of configuring your components
and url space: this is explained at [1]. See url design and page
design. Now, when you want to create your own custom component, there
is an example over here [2]. (note that the part about 'log in to cms
console to edit the HST configuration.' is describing the same as you
can do in [1] with the configuration editor interface, only now
directly in the console instead of though some interface)

Hopes this clears up things a little

Regards Ard

[1] http://www.onehippo.org/site-toolkit/config_editor
[2] http://www.onehippo.org/site-toolkit/getting+started/start+project