[Hippo-cms7-user] Running mutiple sites

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Mon Nov 23 12:03:32 CET 2009

Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),

In order to keep this thread clean, I will only consider multi site
configuration. I think you can better post a separate thread on the
cms list for the user rights in the cms if ok with you (somebody on
the cms list can help you with that separate config issue)

Now, running multiple sites in the hst, you only need to configure
some parts. Also, you have to think whether the subsites share the
same jsps or hst:confioguration, or that they are, for example,
completely independent. Assume the latter:

Now, if you have multiple sites, you start with having multiple
contents, so suppose you have:

STEP 1

/content
     ` documents
               |- mysite1
               `- mysite2

Now, you normally have a node, hst:configuration/hst:configuration.
I'd recommend in case of multiple sites the following setup:

STEP 2

/myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
      |- mysite1
      |         `- hst:configuration
      |                       `- hst:configuration
      `- mysite2
               `- hst:configuration
                             `- hst:configuration

So, now, you have two configurations. Make sure, that if you move the
existing hst:configuration node, it might get a different uuid:
correct the uuid of /preview/hst:configuration and
/live/hst:configuration to this new uuid! (it must be the uuid of the
first hst:configuration node, the handle thus)

STEP 3

create extra virtualhosts.

You probably has hst:virtualhosts a host, like 127.0.0.1

I recommend a node structure something like:

hst:virtualhosts
       ` com
             |- mysite1
             |      |- www
             |      `- preview
             `- mysite2
                    |- www
                    `- preview

Now, you have 4 domains,  preview and www.mysite1.com and preview and
www.mysite2.com

Make sure that on the mysite1 and mysite2 node, you add a property:

hst:sitename, where the for mysite1 the value is mysite1 and similar
for mysite2.

STEP 4

Add the preview / live entries

You already have something like:

/preview
    ` mysite1
           |- hst:content
           `- hst:configuration

Now, copy mysite1 as mysite2. Go the the hst:content of mysite1, and
fill in the correct hippo:docbase (the uuid of content mysite2: make
sure you first delete the property and then add it again with correct
value: only changing the value does not get picked up if you do not
delete the prop, this is a small known issue). Also correct the uuid
for the hst:configuration.

That is it....

I think we might add some plugin for it in the future, handling all
these steps for you. OTOH, if you see how it works...it is only
configurations, and works quite well.

Regards Ard