[Hippo-cms7-user] Update all content fails on template prototypes

Berry van Halderen b.vanhalderen at 1hippo.com
Thu Nov 26 15:42:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Wim Ederveen
<wim.ederveen at atosorigin.com> wrote:
> We noticed a rather strange thing.
> We use mandatory date fields in our templates. And to make sure that when a
> new document is created from this template the current date is used, we
> removed the prototypes for the dates. So that no default value is filled.
> But when we try to do a convert all documents it fails because it believes
> the template has mandatory fields that need to be filled.
> My opinion is that it should only validate for mandatory fields on the
> content that is created from the template, not the template itself.
> could anyone elaborate?

Mandatory is a concept from the JCR repository specification.  Any
data stored in a JCR repository marked as mandatory must be present.
Since the templates contain a prototype which is a one-to-one match of
the document type in JCR the mandatory must also be present in the
templates.
There are two distinct forms of content validation; one is that any
content must adhere to the limits (ie no database will allow you to
store "abc" into an numberic integer field).  On the other hand you
have validation of user-input.  Where, altough 1234 is a perfectly
valid integer, you don't want this to be stored into a "year-of-birth"
field.

In the current implementation cycle a first step is made to split
these two concepts.  You want separate rules for user input, which is
the concept of mandatory you are looking for.  This concept will be
renamed to "required" to avoid confusion (mandatory is a reserved JCR
concept).

With kind regards,
\Berry