[Hippo-cms7-user] Replacing resource with same name

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Mon Dec 20 10:23:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Kenan Salic <k.salic at onehippo.com> wrote:
> What is X minutes, by default? Or where can i look it up?

Hmmm, I didn't know this either, and I doubt whether the default
settings are chosen well enough. The timeToLive is default set to 60
days. This is a little long for a cache. Also, note that this is not
the expires header the binary gets! The expires header we set on the
response is 'currentTime - LastModifiedTime' : the longer the binary
did not change, the longer its expiration date.

Furthermore, a 'hard refresh' should get the new binary directly, even
if it was still in cache.

Last thing I see is that the default timeToIdle is 120 seconds. This
does not make sense if you compare it to timeToLive of 60 days: The
idle time means: If not requested for 2 minutes, it gets evicted from
the cache.

I have created a jira issue to sanitize the default values, see [1]. I prefer

timeToLive = 1 day
timeToIdle = 1 day

Pls react on the jira issue if you have other suggestions.

Regards Ard

[1] https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-1433