[Hippo-cms7-user] Update/Upgrade modules versus re-indexing

Jeroen Reijn j.reijn at onehippo.com
Tue May 18 12:07:16 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have a question about one of Hippo's core features. First I'll explain my
usecase:

Sometimes we want to update a piece of configuration (HST or CMS) while
deploying the next version our Hippo implementation.
We would like to have no manual changes after the deployment of our war and
would like to use and some build-in system of the CMS to perform this
action.

To update some configuration we now write some Java code that makes use of
the UpdaterModule concept [1]. This works great and I really like this
feature. The only problem I have now is that if you use such an
UpdaterModule it will force reindexing of the repository. This however can
be quite a burden if you have a large repository with perhaps a lot of pdf
content. It could make your deployment time explode from 10 seconds to a
couple of hours. Now I was wondering if there is a possibility to disable
this forced reindexing. For now most of the time we also have content model
changes so the re-indexing is no problem, but in case there is no model
change I would like to disable the re-indexing.

It would be great if you could actually configure this perhaps for each
visitor. So a developer has control over the indexation after an update
cycle.
Perhaps it's not that simple, because there is some condition that needs
this, but I have no clue about that.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is is possible to disable this forced re-indexing?
2. Is there some special reason the repository always needs to be reindexed
if something is changed by the update cycle?

Cheers,

Jeroen

[1]http://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Upgrading+and+updating