[Hippo-cms7-user] Re: Admin Perspective customization

Arje Cahn a.cahn at onehippo.com
Tue May 18 20:53:26 CEST 2010

Hey Niels,

> The adminperspective is indeed one plugin with no extension points.

There's a trade-off here. On one end, wherever functionality is
reusable or something you might want to customize, it makes sense to
split it up in plugins. However - this does add complexity. You need
to add wiring and configuration in the repository, which obfuscates
the code and makes it harder to read and pick up by someone else.

We've invested a lot into making everything pluggable - but I feel
that the drawback of complexity is sometimes becoming too big. So I
wouldn't go in and split the admin panel up in a gazillion parts.
Think carefully about the granularity of your plugins - not too big,
but certainly not too small.

Arje