[Hippo-cms7-user] Re: Admin Perspective customization

Niels van Kampenhout niels at nielsvankampenhout.com
Fri May 21 13:45:36 CEST 2010

Arje Cahn wrote:

> Hey Niels,
>
>> The adminperspective is indeed one plugin with no extension points.
>
> There's a trade-off here. On one end, wherever functionality is
> reusable or something you might want to customize, it makes sense to
> split it up in plugins. However - this does add complexity. You need
> to add wiring and configuration in the repository, which obfuscates
> the code and makes it harder to read and pick up by someone else.
>
> We've invested a lot into making everything pluggable - but I feel
> that the drawback of complexity is sometimes becoming too big. So I
> wouldn't go in and split the admin panel up in a gazillion parts.
> Think carefully about the granularity of your plugins - not too big,
> but certainly not too small.

I see your point Arje. But whether you decide to go for pluggability or
simplicity, that decision should be applied consistently throughout the
application. Right now, the choice of which components to make pluggable,
and which not, seems rather arbitrary. Seeing that one part of the GUI is
very pluggable, one expects similar other parts to have similar
pluggability.

My 2 cents ;-)

Niels

-----