[Hippo-cms7-user] Dropdowns listenening to each other's changes

Dennis Dam d.dam at onehippo.com
Fri May 28 10:54:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have the following feature request. We currently have 3 dropdowns in one
document type, which happen to use the same list as input. Most of the time,
the selected values of the dropdowns are the same. Right now, the user needs
to select a value for each separate dropdown. This is repetitive work which
we want to avoid as much as possible. That's we want to implement the
following feature: if a user selects a value for one dropdown field, AND the
other 2 dropdowns are still empty, then fill in the selected value for the
other dropdowns automatically. In this way, the CMS user only needs to
select the value once.

So we need some kind of interaction between different field plugins in the
same document. To solve this problem, I was thinking about implementing a
custom dropdown class which listens to changes to other fields, using the
JCR listener API. Am I on the right track, or is there another easier /
recommended way to this? Can you give a short description of how to
implement this?

regards
Dennis