[Hippo-cms7-user] content translation

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Thu Sep 2 15:56:57 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Arje Cahn <a.cahn at onehippo.com> wrote:

> > that I've been using the terms subsite quite a bit, content translation
> will
> > lead to links between subsites, but that this feature cannot be used to
> link
> > the homepage for the netherlands to the (dutch) homepage for belgium.
> Say,
> > only ISO 639-1 languages can exist, so 'nederlands' and 'vlaams' are
> > identical.
>
> I can see that causing problems in the future.. I've seen Hippo CMS 6
> projects that had a .nl and .be website, but with different content
> sets even though they were both (partially) in Dutch.
> Why not use a combination of ISO Country Code + Language Code, like
> java.util.Locale does?
>
> sure, we could do that.  But is that sufficient?

The java.util.Locale class has a third parameter, the 'variant'.  From what
I can see, there is no regulation on the variant, so including that would
open us up to differentiating between the 'groningen' and 'utrecht'
dialects, for instance.  And then the step to subsites is very small indeed.

cheers, Frank