[Hippo-cms7-user] content translation

Arje Cahn a.cahn at onehippo.com
Thu Sep 2 16:24:55 CEST 2010

>>> Why not use a combination of ISO Country Code + Language Code, like
>>> java.util.Locale does?
>>>
>> sure, we could do that.  But is that sufficient?
>>
>> The java.util.Locale class has a third parameter, the 'variant'.  From what
>> I can see, there is no regulation on the variant, so including that would
>> open us up to differentiating between the 'groningen' and 'utrecht'
>> dialects, for instance.  And then the step to subsites is very small indeed.

I hope I didn't leave the impression that I want to build subsites
using locales - that was not my intention.

What I do mean is that I want to be able to support the following structure:

- Belgian website (BE)
    - Flemish/Dutch article (be_nl)
    - French article (be_fr)
- Dutch website (NL)
    - Dutch article (NL_nl)
- French website (FR)
    - French article (FR_fr)

The four articles are coupled, and even though the be_nl and the
nl_nl versions are written in the same language, they're considered
different translations (or localizations, whatever you want to call
it). The same goes for FR_fr and BE_fr: they're two different documents.

> E.g. you cannot say this is for belgium, but not language specific.
> So an image cannot be for the whole of Belgium, the only options are:
> - one copy for the flemish side and one copy for the french.

I think this is actually the same as what I have in mind.

> - an image for all dutch speaking people.

And this is what I don't want.

Maybe locale is the wrong analogy.