[Hippo-cms7-user] Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Tue Sep 28 11:52:18 CEST 2010

Hello Matt,

I have given your 'context dependent' set up another thought while
walking with my dog this morning :).  The thing is, that depending on
the context path is exactly one of those things that HST2 did try to
solve in its architecture: In other words, regardless your context
path. We designed the HST that on local development you can just run
everything with a context path, say /site. Still, none of your urls in
the jsp's would contain /site, as all links are created by hst:link
tag.

Now, when you deploy to production, you can still deploy as site.war .
Httpd in front strips of the /site. Now, only changing the boolean
property in the hst:virtualhosts for hst:showcontextpath makes urls
work out-of-the-box, and be created without /site.

Now, I am explaining this, to show that we wanted to be independent of
the context path during development. Therefore, your planned setup by
differentiating with the help of context paths is not a natural fit to
the hst design.

Perhaps, you can first tell your exact usecase, and we might be able
to hand an alternative solution in line with the HST,

Regards Ard