[Hippo-cms7-user] Performance with a number of child nodes.

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Tue Apr 12 14:20:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:31 AM, rajannat <rajannat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have gone through the forums and wanted an explicit confirmation on the
> below topic:
> I'm building a internet facing web site where every user can potentially
> create content.
> I was planning to do that by having a content folder (by userID).
> I'm also an SAP ERP guy and I know KM handles it in a similar fashion.
> Would this be a problem with Hippo? Like the root having a subfolder called
> usersContent which in turn has thousands of folders
> root > usersContent > userIDs'Folder

it's hard to know what performance issues you might face; in general we
discourage creating thousands of child nodes.  It's generally easy to work
around this limitation by introducing one or more intermediate nodes.  E.g.
usersContent -> [userID first letter] -> [userID second letter] -> userID.

Scalability requirements will need a more detailed analysis, so I would
recommend contacting Hippo.  See
http://www.onehippo.com/en/support/subscriptions for details.

hope this helps,

cheers, Frank

> Would this cause performance issues? Is it horizontally scalable?

Regards,
> Kumar

Hippo Europe  •  Amsterdam  Oosteinde 11  •  1017 WT Amsterdam  •  +31 (0)20
522 4466
USA  • San Francisco 755 Baywood Drive, Second Floor •  Petaluma, CA. 94954
•  +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent #430 •  Montréal QC H2T
1S5  •  +1 (514) 316 8966
www.onehippo.com  •  www.onehippo.org  •  info at onehippo.com