[Hippo-cms7-user] Performance with a number of child nodes.

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Tue Apr 12 14:32:45 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Frank van Lankvelt
<f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:31 AM, rajannat <rajannat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have gone through the forums and wanted an explicit confirmation on the
>> below topic:
>> I'm building a internet facing web site where every user can potentially
>> create content.
>> I was planning to do that by having a content folder (by userID).
>> I'm also an SAP ERP guy and I know KM handles it in a similar fashion.
>> Would this be a problem with Hippo? Like the root having a subfolder
>> called
>> usersContent which in turn has thousands of folders
>> root > usersContent > userIDs'Folder
>
> it's hard to know what performance issues you might face; in general we
> discourage creating thousands of child nodes.  It's generally easy to work
> around this limitation by introducing one or more intermediate nodes.  E.g.
> usersContent -> [userID first letter] -> [userID second letter] -> userID.

Jackrabbit, the backing storage layer Hippo Repository builds upon,
does have decreasing performance for *many* sibling nodes. We thus
have this same performance decrease. As Frank points out, a simple
indirection folder structure is enough to get around it.

Regards ard