[Hippo-cms7-user] Confused and Dazed on Selecting a Java CMS

Jeroen Reijn j.reijn at onehippo.com
Wed Apr 13 21:45:33 CEST 2011

Hi John,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM, John Schwitz <saudade at net-mp.com> wrote:

> I am impressed with your site and commitment to Java Open Source. I admire
> your architecture.

Thank you.

> Two important requirements:
> 1) Can the site display videos that I host on Amazon S3? If so, can I find
> code snippet?

The website powered by the Hippo Site Toolkit can render any video as long
as it's able to reach the specific host from either the application server
or from the browser. With regards of the code snippet I do not have any
experience with Amazon S3, but perhaps somebody else on this list has. You
can probably use something like the JW player for showing them on the
frontend.

> 2) Can I have some of my content in Flash or Flex?

I guess you mean you want to use the content coming from Hippo in your Flash
or Flex application? Yes you can. Hippo allows you to define an API to
expose your content as XML or JSON. I guess you can then get the content
from the RESTfull api and use it in your flex of flash app.

> And, how quickly can I deploy a simple site -- Are the tools/widgets there.

Yes the tools are there. Perhaps you need to do some work on the S3
integration.  Did you already take a look at the Hippo trail:

https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Hippo+Trail

> Information on me: I was looking at Joomla and am doing a prototype in
> IglooCommunities. You look superior on all counts.

Thank you. Yes the architecture, but also technology is quite different.

Feel free to ask more in depth questions if you need more help.

Gr,

Jeroen