[Hippo-cms7-user] Item cannot be saved because it has been modified externally

marnixkok m.kok at tfe.nl
Fri Apr 22 10:29:49 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

In one of the projects we have been creating, we have had a problem with
storing information in the CMS (using the latest versions/tags). The error
that keeps on popping up in a dialog box when pressing the "Save" button is
the following:

javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException: Item cannot be saved because it has
been modified externally: node /

The log says the following:

21.04.2011 15:55:18 ERROR
[org.hippoecm.frontend.model.JcrSessionModel.flush():87] Error when logging
out
javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException: Item cannot be saved because it has
been modified externally: node /
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.ItemImpl.getTransientStates(ItemImpl.java:249)
    at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.ItemImpl.save(ItemImpl.java:981)
    at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SessionImpl.save(SessionImpl.java:920)
    at
org.hippoecm.repository.decorating.SessionDecorator.save(SessionDecorator.java:204)
    at
org.hippoecm.repository.impl.SessionDecorator.save(SessionDecorator.java:185)
    at
org.hippoecm.repository.decorating.checked.SessionDecorator.save(SessionDecorator.java:229)
    at
org.hippoecm.frontend.model.JcrSessionModel.flush(JcrSessionModel.java:74)

After this happens, the errors keep on appearing for the user. The
administrator has to create a new account for them. The new account tends to
work for a little while until the same error occurs.

While trying to research the cause of this problem I ran into a number of
(closed) issues in previous version of Hippo that show the same problem.
Also, other projects using jackrabbit have reports of this behaviour
occuring, especially when using the CMS with multiple users -- which is what
happens when we get the error.

Restarting the CMS after throwing away the local repository data only helps
temporarily.

Before I cut my losses and setup a new CMS instance in which the problem
might persist, I would like to know if any of you have encountered this
problem, if so: what did you do? Other pointers in the direction of a
solution are also more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Marnix Kok