[Hippo-cms7-user] Web app site root system property?

Woonsan Ko w.ko at onehippo.com
Wed Jun 8 14:56:18 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 07:08 AM, Bart van der Schans wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Woonsan Ko<w.ko at onehippo.com>  wrote:
>> On 06/07/2011 10:55 AM, Bart van der Schans wrote:
>>> Thx Woonsan for the explanation.
>>>
>>> Personally I'm not a big fan of adding logging *implementation*
>>> details to the web.xml as it llimits switching implementations in the
>>> container. But it seems that logback requires something similar [1].
>>> So maybe in the end it turn out inevitable and we just must choose one
>>> implementation and stick to it.
>> I wonder if there exists any simple library to enable easy switching log4j
>> to logback or vice versa. (e.g., based on configuration files)
> When you put the slf4j api jar in the shared lib, you can either add
> the slf4j-log4j and log4j jar or just add the logback jar. That way
> you can easily switch between logging implementations. The
> disadvantage is that you loose out on some the advanced settings you
> can put in the web.xml for both logging implementations.
Yes, I knew that. We have used slf4j for long time.
What I was trying to ask is about the switching between implementations
and their implementation specific configurations.
Maybe we cannot switch logging implementation with having both slf4j
implementation jars together.
But anyway, if would be good to reduce jobs to switch logging
implementations.

>> Also, it would be really good if the library doesn't require any system
>> property at all. (For example, it can have some usable conventional built-in
>> properties. e.g., ${webAppId}, ${webAppName}, ${contextName}, ...) Simply a
>> listener configuration ...
>> Is there any trial like that?
> Why exactly would we *need* those properties? From an admin pov these
> parameters are not needed in the logs, as long as people write decent
> log messages.
What I meant by the properties are for logging configuration files, not
for logging codes.
We need a logging configuration properties to have parameterizable
logging dir/files in the configuration anyway.

Regards,

Woonsan