[Hippo-cms7-user] hst:actionUrl and doAction()

d.clayton d.clayton at lukkien.com
Tue Oct 18 16:41:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a contact form that needs to appear in a number of different places
in the website, so I've made a template with the form jsp (it's a plain old
html form using the <hst:actionURL> tag to define where it posts to).
However, I'm having trouble getting the posted data in any of the doAction()
callbacks.

The way I decided to implement it is to have all of my components inherit
from a BaseComponent which overrides doAction() and doBeforeRender().
Unfortunately, doAction() doesn't seem to be called in any of the
components. I looked at this page
https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Request+Processing and it
implies that it's the parent that propagates the doAction() call to its
children, but I don't have a defined "parent component" - is that what I'm
missing? I don't understand why my standalone forms work fine though, i.e.
when I have a defined page, component, template and JSP with an
hst:actionURL, it posts back into the component's doAction() no problem.
It's only when I try to use BaseComponent that all components inherit from
that it doesn't work. Perhaps I need to explicitly define BaseComponent in
my repository configuration too somewhere?

Advice or hints on what I'm doing wrong very welcome. Thanks!

Dave