[Hippo-cms7-user] Hippo CMS in subdirectory

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Tue Apr 3 09:13:56 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Tobias G. Pfeiffer <tgpfeiffer at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, 2. April 2012, 09:27 schrieb Ard Schrijvers:
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Tobias G. Pfeiffer wrote:
>> > OK, but now I know it's at least not a trivial problem that
>> > everyone else has solved before. Using subdomains is a suboptimal
>> > thing because of the SSL certificate that's only valid for one
>> > domain. But I guess for the development instance, I can live with
>> > a manually added port number, i.e. mysite.com:1234/
>>
>> Was it all about getting a development instance available as well?
>
> Well, yes, to get a first development instance running at all. My netbook
> isn't powerful enough to run Hippo, so I wanted to use one of our VMs
> and develop with emacs or so ;-)
>
>> We normally use different hosts for that, for example
>>
>> localhost : dev env
>> test.example.com : test
>> acct.example.com : acct
>> www.example.com : prod
>
> How does this setup work exactly? I mean, if your server installation of
> Hippo CMS behind a reverse proxy is configured to serve your dev env via
> "localhost", how to you ever access it then?

Well, normally, localhost is only for local development. If I also
want others to be able to browse my local running site, I add to the
hst:hosts a new host group with a host that contains my ip-address.
Then it will just be accessible from other machines. If they want to
check 'my' local running site on, say

www.example.com

then

1) I add www.example.com to my hst:hosts
2) They add
       'myip' www.example.com
to their hosts file

Obviously, if my container runs at, say, port 8080, you can also
configure apache webserver to listen to port 80 and delegate to port
8080. That is described at [1]

Hope this helps

Regards Ard

[1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Configure+Apache+httpd+web+server+for+site%28s%29