[Hippo-cms7-user] node name of a document is indexed

Jasper Floor j.floor at onehippo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:12:20 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers at onehippo.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Bert Leunis <b.leunis at onehippo.com>
> wrote:
> >> Is there actually a customer complaining about this?
> > A customer noticed this. And since the document is only available on a
> > overview, and does not have its own url, I can see why they complain
> about
> > this unexplainable result. "The search is not working" is what they say.
>
> Ok. Well, I tend to disagree with them :)
>
> Google also sometimes gives hits on text you don't actually see on the
> website. I really think the node name is a part of the document.

That's a very developercentric view however. Look at it from the users
perspective. If they never see the name then it doesn't exist for them.
Therefore the search results are incorrect from their POV. When Google
indexes documents on text you can't see then they are attempting to
incorporate some meta data which makes the result more relevant. Relevance
is however  perception (well, in some sense it is a defined function but
not as far as the user is concerned). Also the google case is a much more
complex one so may not be entirely a fair comparison. Sure, for some
customers it may be valid that the node name is important (meta)data but
for others it doesn't even exist.

mvg,
Jasper