[Hippo-cms7-user] Creating redirects

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Wed Jun 6 09:34:03 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Jeroen Reijn <j.reijn at onehippo.com> wrote:
> It would be interesting to see if the plugin can add a piece of
> workflow that creates a 'redirect' document with the old and new
> location of the document. I guess it needs much more tight coupling
> with the HST then, since the document is independent from the channel
> or sitemap that generates the URL.

Good point. One document can be represented in many different
channels, and thus many different links. Also, adding them to the URL
rewriter would I think result in a too large configuration for the URL
rewriter (which doesn't scale as far as I know because it tries every
rewrite in it whether it matches)

So, it should then be integrated in the HST. Easiest way would be,
that when the workflow moves a document, that a 'placeholder moved'
node is added to the old location with a path ref to the new. This
way, the HST can still resolve the old url like it did before, it will
find the 'placeholder moved' node, and can do a client or server side
redirect or create a page that the url has been moved (up to the
developer). Either way, think the HST work is quite trivial. Adding it
to the workflow and the content model would be most the work afaics

Regards Ard