[Hippo-cms7-user] A page driven design with Hippo

Minos Chatzidakis m.chatzidakis at onehippo.com
Fri Jun 22 10:58:55 CEST 2012

Yes, and that's a feature that we'll take advantage of. But when a user
goes to tc, he'll actually see that the templates are being edited cause
he'll have the option to publish them, though he never pressed 'Edit
templates'. This can be so confusing for an editor!

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Edoardo Causarano <
e.causarano at onehippo.com> wrote:

> Hi Minos,
>
> I'm a noob so please bare the probable inaccuracy: editing a document
> could change its workflow state to "locked for editing" (by: username
> stored in a property) so that no other editors (there should be a "lock
> breaker role")  can change the document?
>

> Edoardo
>

> Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Minos Chatzidakis <
> m.chatzidakis at onehippo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello to all,
>>
>> We are trying to simulate a page driven design with Hippo. The site makes
>> heavy use of the template composer, for editing and managing the templates.
>> To overcome the fact that the composer edits templates, we have a
>> template per page (or a page per template), anyway it's a 1 to 1
>> relationship. This partly (but sufficiently) simulates a page driven
>> design. Not all pages are templates (we reuse whenever possible).
>>
>> Ok so let's talk about the homepage. Editors open channel manager and
>> start editing the page (template), that is changing the settings of the
>> dropped components. For a component like a 'highlights section', those
>> settings are the paths to the documents that we want to show in that area.
>> This entails that editors will more likely edit this template very often,
>> like say every day. As usual, when the editor is happy with the changes he
>> did, he presses 'publish templates'.
>>
>>    - *What happens if 2 editors have the channel manager open? More
>>    precisely what will happen if one of the editors is happy with his changes,
>>    so he publishes, but the the 2nd editor is halfway done? I guess his half
>>    completed changes are suddenly published. Right?*
>>    - *Is the channel manager supposed to be used simultaneously by many
>>    users? Are there warnings like in cms (like 'This document is being edited
>>    by another user' ) ?*
>>
>> How about the following as a possible solution:
>> We create a document type that holds all the parameters of a droppable
>> component. Then we feed that document to the hst component, instead of
>> passing the parameters individually. The component must retrieve it's
>> settings from that document, instead of the ParametersInfo. This way:
>>
>>    - There are no conflicts with publishing of the template
>>    - Editors can preview, *publish component configuration*, *schedule
>>    publication*
>>    - It supports *multiuser editing*
>>
>> Personally I don't like that editors will manage the site via documents
>> instead via the channel manager. But I can't find a workaround for the
>> aforementioned problems.
>>
>> Please share your thoughts!
>>
>> Minos

> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
> http://www.onehippo.com/

With kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Minos Chatzidakis