[Hippo-cms7-user] Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Frank van Lankvelt f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com
Wed Sep 12 09:33:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <w.ko at onehippo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
> -
> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>
> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
> serve multi-domain sites.

I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').

Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
system property could also just point to the respective environment,
i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
-Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
then still be in the repository)

cheers, Frank