[Hippo-cms7-user] Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Bart van der Schans b.vanderschans at onehippo.com
Wed Sep 12 11:08:58 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
<f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <w.ko at onehippo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
>> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
>> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
>> -
>> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>>
>> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
>> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
>> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
>> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
>> serve multi-domain sites.
>>
> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>
> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
> then still be in the repository)

Why a system property? We already store this information in the
"hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.

I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
settings.

Bart