[Hippo-cms7-user] Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Ard Schrijvers a.schrijvers at onehippo.com
Wed Sep 12 11:16:49 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
<b.vanderschans at onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
> <f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <w.ko at onehippo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
>>> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
>>> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
>>> -
>>> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>>>
>>> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
>>> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
>>> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
>>> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
>>> serve multi-domain sites.
>>>
>> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
>> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
>> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
>> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
>> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>>
>> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
>> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
>> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
>> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
>> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
>> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
>> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
>> then still be in the repository)
>
> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>
> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
> settings.

That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
end user sees the context path or not.

We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
and prod since the domain specific property
hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
removed

Ard