[Hippo-cms7-user] Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Bart van der Schans b.vanderschans at onehippo.com
Wed Sep 12 11:22:47 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers at onehippo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <b.vanderschans at onehippo.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
>> <f.vanlankvelt at onehippo.com> wrote:

>>> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
>>> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
>>> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
>>> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
>>> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>>>
>>> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
>>> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
>>> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
>>> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
>>> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
>>> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
>>> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
>>> then still be in the repository)
>>
>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>
>> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
>> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
>> settings.
>
> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
> end user sees the context path or not.
>
> We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
> loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
> hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
> advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
> and prod since the domain specific property
> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
> removed

I think it would really help if we would have some configuration
wizard to help you setup the channelmanager. It could specifically
check if intermediate steps are configured correctly give hints about
proxy configurations, point to trouble shooting pages, etc. etc.  The
only thing you now have are some barely documented properties in two
different configuration trees in the repository which you have to set
manually in the console. Having a good setup wizard will take away 99%
of the configuration issues people run into now.

Bart